Sunday, November 4, 2007

I need to practice what I preach

I can't believe it has been almost a week since I posted. How did this happen? Where did the week go? As usual it was a busy one. Especially with Halloween.

So I've been all over Mandy(you have to call her Miranda) to relax and take it easy. Nap when Max naps. Who cares if the dishes are piled up in the sink? Dog hair on the floor? Big deal. It's really easy to tell someone else that, but I must confess, I don't always practice what I preach.

My weekends have become filled with laundry and deep cleaning. Yet my house never seems clean enough to me. There's always some sort of clutter or crumbs. Someone's shoes are always in the middle of the kitchen floor and it seems like the bathrooms are always dirty, even if I just cleaned them.

So my question is: If you let that stuff go, but all the while you are doing something else, all you can think about is the dishes in the sink. Does it count?

3 comments:

The Nut House... said...

Well... there is a method to this. Dishes in the sink are a no, no. At least for a long length of time. Overnight (like dinner to morning) maybe not too bad as long as they are rinsed.

I "swish and swipe" my bathrooms. Everytime I go to the bathroom, I run the toilet brush around the toilet, and use the antibacterial wipes that I keep in there, to wipe the place down. It takes literally seconds to do this. Plus I try to keep the counter tops clean. Occasionally I will run the little dust buster in there to get the visible stuff off the floor. I only deep clean it like once a week.

For the most part, I keep the main rooms fairly clean. Living room, kitchen, bathroom off kitchen, hallway and dining room. These rooms are the ones that people see if they drop in. There is stuff in places that I would rather it not be, but if I need to really clean the place it isn't overwhelming, because I never let it get that far out of hand.

Maybe work on your OCD. :o)

Melanie said...

I leave my house every day about 6:45 am. I get home every day about 6:00pm. If I'm lucky, I get home at 5:00pm. Make dinner and eat with the family? It's now 7ish. Help the kids with their homework and then herd them to bed? It's now 9. If I want any relax "me" time, it's from 9-10. If I go to bed any later than that then I don't want to get out of bed to do it all again the next day. Lets not even talk about the days when I have to stop on the way home to get my hair cut or I go to yoga. A few days of that and suddenly it's Friday and the house is a disaster again. I have intentions to keep up on through the week, but it just doesn't happen.

Miralee said...

I am right there with you Melanie and I am not even working...well I guess you could say I am but you know what I mean!

I do try to keep at least the kitchen and living room 1/2 decent...my husband is a tornado, hurricane, and tidal wave all wrapped into one so it's a never ending battle!

Val, I like your description of swish/swipe...I beleive that I might have to try that. I hate cleaning the bathroom.