Monday, February 15, 2010

Your Life, My Life, A Reminder

This drawing has been hanging in my cubicle since I quit my first real job almost 9 years ago. Many of you will remember that I was in the midst of a personal crisis and quitting that job, while a very uncomfortable proposition, was a necessity. As much as I wanted to stay in my comfort zone, I knew that I had to go. It was the most painful transition of my life.

But as it turned out, quitting that job turned out to be one of the best decisions I ever made. I could never have imagined at the time how well things would turn out for me in terms of my career and my personal life.

I found myself gazing at this drawing this morning and I realized that while I have been staring at it for 9 years, I have stopped seeing it. It is time to move forward, stop looking back and hanging on with desperation to something that is no longer an option. It's uncomfortable and scary, but as in the past, a necessity.

4 comments:

Jen said...

Oh snap! I can't wait to read more.

I like the drawing, and the reminder.

I bet the last time I talked to you before reconnecting last yearish, was 10 years ago. So I might be able to guess at what made you leave that job, but maybe not. Anyway, I'm glad you're where you are today, and I'm looking forward to reading the next chapter.

Miralee said...

You can do this...you are an amazing woman and you are stronger than you realize. Do what makes you happy - the rest will fall into place. :)
I am here if you need to chat.

freckletree said...

hold on-- are you quitting your job or taking that depressing drawing down?

because if you are only taking the drawing down I would say that your previous commenters are a bit dramatic. but, then again, they know you better than i do. maybe you have a really hard time letting things go.

shit, it's just a drawing, dude. i mean, you can do all things through christ who stregthens you.

Melanie said...

Freckletree - well I guess in a way, I will be taking the drawing down. Hint hint.