Wednesday, January 7, 2009

So here's the drama that was going on at our house last night.

First of all let me start out by saying that Sam is 13 and based on what I have seen since about the time he turned 12, I fear for what it is going to be like in our house when Becca turns 12. Right now she is still pretty sweet and thinks that Dave and I and most other adults are the best thing ever. All you have to do is call her sweetie and give her a hug and she's all smiles. Give her something with glitter on it and she'd do just about anything for you. I'm afraid all that baby sweetness is going to go away when the hormones start surging. I've already seen a few glimpses of it in her.

But I'm getting off track. What I really wanted to talk about what the self-centeredness of a 13 year old.

Dave and Sam each have an IPod Nano. Dave uses his pretty much exclusively when he is running on the treadmill. Sam uses his for things like surviving his excruciatingly painful and long 15-20 minutes bus ride, surviving any sort of car ride with his father and wicked evil step-mother, and in general surviving life. Both IPod's are over 2 years old and if you've ever had an IPod, you know that the batteries don't last forever and in general become crap after a couple years and cannot be replaced.

So Monday night Dave ran on the treadmill and killed his battery so he placed his IPod on the charger and called it good.

I should also mention that IPod's come with a charger that plugs in the USB port on the computer, but if you want to be able to plug it into the wall to charge, you have to purchase an adapter that costs about $30. So we only have one wall adaptor.

Last night Dave came home from work and got all ready to run on the treadmill and when he goes to get his IPod off the charger he finds it is already off the charger and still dead. You see where this is going, right? Sam. The little punk took Dave's IPod off the charger and put his own on it. His answer? A shoulder shrug and "Well mine was dead too." I asked him when exactly he took Dave's IPod off the charger and it turns out he went in there pretty much right after Dave. Then he went back the next morning after his IPod was nice and charged up and took without any thought of putting Dave's back on the charger. Thus the still dead battery at 6:30 p.m. last night. And his answer to that, "Well, we only have one charger."

Mind you, we gave him that IPod. Then he proceeds to tell us how he wants to buy an IPod touch with his Christmas money but he is about $100 short. I suggested he think up some extra chores around our house to help me out and I will pay him and he can earn the rest of the money that way. He doesn't like that idea. He says he can't think of anything he can do around the house. I offered to make him a list of all the tasks I perform each week, in addition to my 50-60 hour work week. He declined. Then, his little sister asks him if she can have his old IPod when he buys the touch and he tell her "NO!"

Who is this increasingly hairy person living in my house?

Tomorrow I will share with you the list he came up with with 5 reasons why he should be able to get an IPod touch

2 comments:

Miralee said...

Out of the mouths of babes. I am sure that if we all went back and asked our mothers they would have plenty of stories to tell about "US" being self-centered.

But of course he doesn't know to know that until he has kids of his own!! LOL! Hang in there girl!!!

The Nut House... said...

Ohhhh I sooooo can't wait for tomorrows post with the list.

OMG I had the morning from hell with the queen. It started out with her ripping my head off because I wanted her carcass out of bed for a shower before school. THEN, when I was putting her lunch in her backpack, she thought I was going through her back pack, and snapped my face off yet again! I could have thrown her out the garage door!

Ahhh yes. The queen. I am merely a servant.