Sunday, September 28, 2008

There Can be Miracles

I can't watch tv or listen the news anymore. It's depressing. We're on the verge of some sort of financial crisis that is going to throw the country into a recession, a depression or my taxes and my children's taxes are going to skyrocket for the next 40 years, I'll never be able to sell my house, if Obama becomes president, life as I know it is over, if John McCain becomes president, life as I know it is over too. Gees, I can't take anymore.

So, I'm going John Stossell on you.

A woman called into the radio station I was listening to the other day to tell the following story. I won't do it justice I'm sure, but I'll give you the gist.

Her baby girl was diagnosed with 100% hearing loss in both ears at just a day or two old. They did not know why as there had been no history of this in their family. So they spent months putting the poor baby through all sorts of test, mri's etc.... to no avail. They said she would never hear. The insurance company would not pay for the hearing aids which are apparently very expensive, so in order for the family to qualify for Medicaid, the mother had to quit her job. They got the hearing aids and then the baby got an ear infection and couldn't wear them for a while.

One day she (the baby) was sitting on the floor in the kitchen playing, the father dropped a pot and the baby started crying. Of course they thought she must have felt the vibration or something, but they started testing in other ways and for some totally unexplained reason they found the little girl had regained full hearing in one ear. Perfect hearing.

I listened to this story and blubbered like the girl I am. I was so touched. Folks, I bet if you try, you can find someone in your circle who can tell you a touching and inspiring story like this. And I bet if you try, you can find another person after that. Why aren't these the things were talking about? I'm going to try and find as many of these kinds of stories and post them here. I don't know about you, but these are the things I need to be dwelling on, not the financial crisis we are facing that I have no control over or all of the other negative things that are being reported on the news every minute of every day.

When the mother had finished her story, the DJ played a song just for her. A song that I have always loved, from the movie, "The Prince of Thieves" which makes me tear up every time. Take a listen.

3 comments:

The Nut House... said...

Yep. 8 years with Bush and look where it got us. We have a national debt higher than the Empire State Building, and we keep sending soldiers over to Iraq, which keeps that debt building.

I too am quite concerned about what is going to happen next. Life isn't over, now it's called surviving.

Miralee said...

Listening to that song after reading your post literally gave me goosebumps.

Every night I make it a habit to pray for my husband, my son, and the rest of family & friends and just ask God to help us get through this difficult situation.

With God all things are possible!

Alison said...

I am IN LOVE with Whitney Houston. (F*** Mariah Carey.)