Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Bye Bye Babies

It's been a bad month for kitties in my family.

First, my brother and his wife went on vacation a couple weeks ago and my dad was stopping in to check their cat, Alex, for them while they were gone. Well, Alex got really sick during that week and my poor dad and to take him to the vet and he had to be put to sleep. It was pretty awful for my sensitive pop. He felt so bad about having to do that while my brother was out of town. And the whole situation really got to me as well. The idea of going on vacation and coming home to an empty house that was once occupied by your furry friend without getting to say goodbye, just breaks my heart. I love my animals so much. Ugh.
Then my mom's cat, Ally, got really sick and quit eating. She spent last weekend in the kitty hospital having an IV drip to try and flush her system. It turns out she had kidney disease possibly due to an underdeveloped kidney that caused undue stress on her other healthy kidney. She came home on Sunday, but she just couldn't seem to recover, still would not eat and this afternoon she had to be put to sleep as well. She was only 8. My mom is obviously pretty upset. I can't believe she's gone. It happened really fast.

I got her for my brother as a birthday gift. She came from my friend Katie's family farm in Alma. I drove all the way up there to get her and she was the size of a guinea pig, I swear. She rode home sleeping on my lap. And when my brother moved to Phoenix, my mom adopted her. She really was a sweet baby and had the most bizarre habit of licking plastic shopping bags. She loved them and when you came home from grocery shopping, she would stalk you until she could get her paws on a bag. It was weird, but endearing. If can find those first pictures, I will scan them in and post them. For now, the pictures below will have to do. (I don't have any pics of Alex).



Bye bye sweet babies. Say hi to my Chiquita for me.

4 comments:

The Nut House... said...

That is horrible. Absolutely horrible. As you know, I know all too well how this feels. I hope that your entire family finds peace.

Miralee said...

It's so hard to when you lose your little friends. We (being me and Trigger) are sending lots of love your way!!!!

Alison said...

That entry makes me want to kill myself. P.S. I'm home.

Joyous JRo said...

That is so sad. I'm glad we have made an arrangement with our pets that they will outlive us ;-)

I can't even think about the day where we have to make that decision without going into a full blown cry.

Your poor Pop. I would hate to have to be the one to make that decision.