Monday, January 7, 2008

Jerry is E-normous!

Okay. So Jerry is a big cat. Katrina commented that he should be name Tom as in "tomcat." That is funny because I always wondered if his previous owners named him after Tom and Jerry but got confused and thought Jerry was the cat. Or they were Seinfeld fans and named him after "little Jerry Seinfeld" of course that was a rooster, but you never know.

I wish I could have seen what he looked like as a kitten. I can't imagine him small. I got him at the Livingston County Humane Society about 5 years ago. I went there looking for a dog, but I had never had a dog before and I chickened out because of the fact that I was living in an upstairs condo with no real yard to speak of.

While I was looking at the dogs, my mom wandered over to the cat room where she happened upon Jerry. He was just sacked out in his little cage, but when she walked by he put his pretty little white paw out and touched her. She was sold. Unfortunately, she already had two cats at home and my dad told her if she brought another one home, he would leave. I'm sure he would not have left if she had brought the cat home, but instead would have stuck out around to make her sorry for it. Anyway, she played on my sympathies and I signed the contract for Jerry who came home with me the next day. And had it really good for the next three years.

He's a very sweet and loving cat, but he's pretty neurotic. I think that a man must have been mean to him at some point because he is terribly afraid of men. Dave rarely ever saw Jerry for the first couple of months we dated. And when we got Guinness, it rocked his world. He took up residence in his little room at the end of the hall in the condo. And just when he started to ease out a little, we moved. And then he took up residence in the basement.

Now he goes in spurts. Sometimes we see a lot of him, sometimes we don't.

So I apologize to all the cat lovers who have felt his existence has been overshadowed by Guinness. I promise to start covering more Jerry.

2 comments:

Miralee said...

I must put a picture of Trigger on my blog...the two of them could be brothers!

The Nut House... said...

That is so sweet. What a great story. It is obvious that he has adjusted to his new life quite well. :o)

BTW, you inspired me to put Charlie on mine too. lol