Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Lobster - Food or Pet?

For my bridal shower last year, I registered for this gigantic stock pot. And someone bought it for me. I registered for this stock pot with the very good intention of cooking live lobster for my dear husband. He loves seafood, particularily lobster. However, as of this past weekend I had yet to purchase and cook a lobster for my man.

Sunday we were at Meijer and lo and behold, live lobster were on sale. So Dave bought one. We threw it in the backseat and went to pick the kids up from Grandma's. The kids hop in the backseat and of course immediately see the lobster bag. They were fascinated. And Rebecca started telling us that she has no intention of eating this lobster. She wants to keep this lobster as a pet. Huh?
Well I shouldn't have been surprised. This is the same little girl who went fishing, caught a fish and when her daddy pulled the hook out of it's mouth and she saw that the worm was still on it, started crying, "I wanted the fishy to eat the worm!" and then proceeded to start throwing the worms into the water so the fish could eat.
We got home and Dave put the lobster in the sink in some water. While the kids hovered around looking at it, I went into the living room to fold some laundry. Eventually Sam lost interest and took off. But Becca continued to stand and look at the lobster. And as I was folding a towel I heard her say, "I love you lobster."

Uh oh.

Now we have to have a conversation with her about what exactly is going to happen to Mr. Lobster. I explain that he is going to meet his fate in a pot of boiling hot water and will be her daddy's delicious dinner. She took it rather well and decided to go play with her friends. As she is running out the door, she calls to the lobster, "Bye lobster! Have a good cook!"
And they both came back in when it was time to cook him and fought over who got to drop him in the hot water.




Have you ever seen a whole cooked lobster after the tail has been removed? I couldn't even bring myself to take a picture of that. It was disgusting!




4 comments:

The Nut House... said...

I am moving into your kitchen. From that little glimpse... it is BEAUTIFUL!

Melanie said...

.

Melanie said...

Thank you! I love my kitchen - it is what sold me on the house :)

The Nut House... said...

Are you already gone to take your friend? Sure is lonely around your blog, lol.