Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Dish Therapy

I'm in a rut and I desperately need to pull myself out. I spend too much time at work and not enough time at home and the time I do spend at home feels very unproductive (and now that I mention it, the time at work also feels unproductive). It seems like I'm always just "calling it in." I feel run down and I don't have a lot of energy. I'm not exercising at all, have all but totally abandoned yoga, we've been eating out way too much and my sugar intake has spiked again. I feel like I spend every week just trying to get to the weekend and then every weekend trying to catch up to start another week (which I never do get caught up). For the most part, I stay on top of the laundry, no one can complain that they ever run out of underwear. I hired someone to clean the house about a year ago which was one of the best decisions I ever made, so the house stays pretty clean, but I still have to straighten. However, I never get to much else beyond the basics. Meaning, the drawers and closets never get cleaned out. So the house looks relatively tidy on the surface, but if you look in the closets, under the beds, etc., it is a cluttery mess. I know if I force myself to attend a couple yoga classes and watch what I eat for a couple days, that will help tremendously. I just need to find the will to do it.

But enough of my depressing doom and gloom. Let's talk about dishes.

Yes. Dishes.

I have spoken before of my love of bowls and platters and the like. The dishes I registered for when I got married were the exact same dishes I had in my condo when I was single, just in a different color. Fiestaware. From God. I went from cobalt blue and some sort of maroon (I can't remember the name now) to scarlet red. I love red, it is so bright and cheery and so versatile. There are a thousand different shades of red.

About a year ago, I decided we needed cereal bowls because the bowls that come in the 5 piece fiestaware setting are too shallow and we always spill milk from them. I wanted some nice deep bowls for cereal. So, one day, while fooling myself into thinking that I am frugal, I purchased some cheap red bowls from Kohl's for a couple bucks a piece. They were almost exactly the same color as my fiestaware so I told myself they would do. It turns out when chipped, these bowls are white underneath. A white chip really stands out on a bright red bowl. I don't know if the fiestaware is white underneath too because none of them have ever chipped. The kids are hard on my dishes and these cheap bowls are getting more and more chipped as the days go by.

A couple weekends ago I found myself back at Kohl's and what do you know, Fiestaware is on sale. 40% off Yes! Just the excuse I need to rid myself forever from my cheap chipped bowls. I loaded up the cart with 6 beautiful deep scarlet red 24oz Fiestawarebowls and I bought them.

And I started to think, of course this was after my credit card swiped through the machine. Why am I buying all red? Fiestaware comes in a rainbow of gorgeous and bright colors. Why just stick with scarlet red? So I left the bowls in my car and last weekend I went back to Kohl's and exchanged some of the red ones for other colors. Yellow, blue, teal and red. I have a rainbow in my kitchen and they make me feel happier every time I open my cupboard and see them in there.

Now I'm thinking how that yellow in a dinner plate would look like the sun just sitting there on my table........

5 comments:

The Nut House... said...

Ohhhh you and I are SO much alike! I did a party last February and liked the host's plates so much I went and bought new plates for my house! I didn't get the same ones though. That would be weird. I have yellow ones from the Chris Madden collection at JCP. It is amazing how a beautiful dish can totally change your attitude.

As for work... You need a break. Do you have any vacation time you can take to just STAY HOME? Maybe a week? You need a change of pace, and that week at home will allow you to "reset" yourself.

Consider doing it before you end up in the mental ward.

Jen said...

Your dishes sound heavenly. I have the really boring dishes I registered for in 1995, and I am always happy when Jason chips or breaks one. I look forward to our future in brightly colored tableware.

Anonymous said...

I have cobalt Fiestaware, and yes, they are white underneath when they chip, though it takes a lot to chip them. I've seen white on my vintage cobalt but I haven't chipped the newer stuff yet. Others have actually broken my newer stuff but they've also disposed of it before I got a chance to survey the destruction.

Katrina said...

Oh I've always wanted the Fiestaware but could never commit to a color - I love the idea of mixing it up. FUN! I love the idea of a yellow (sun) dinner plate.

And I'm totally with ya on the yoga/eating less sugar train. I gotta do it. Wanna try to meet at one of the yoga places for their Sat morning vinyasas? Nothing like jumping in full swing.

Melanie said...

You read my mind. I want to meet and yoga it up, but I have to warn you, if I jump right back into an intense Vinyasa, I might die/embarrass you with all my child's poses'!