Thursday, February 14, 2008

Valentine Anniversary

I never cared much for Valentines Day. I always thought it was ridiculous and more of a day to make single people feel, well, single. And alone.

Ironically, today is the four year anniversary of Dave's and my first date. He asked me out on a Tuesday at work. He was in town for a training class and he told me to think about it before giving him an answer. My first thought and many thoughts after that were, "no", "no way", "absolutley not" and "when hell freezes over". It wasn't that I didn't like him. We were buddies and I was fond of him, but he was a co-worker which was a huge red flag, he had two kids which was an even bigger red flag, and he wasn't officially divorced yet which was a flag of some sort of color that I can't even describe but it was brighter than red.

So I spent the day trying to figure out how to tell him to hit the road but not ruin our working relationship. So after work we're sitting there talking about it and he is telling me that he thinks we click, and we have a lot in common, and he thinks I'm so pretty, all sorts of nice sweet things and all the time I'm thinking, "NO, no, no." and I turn to him and out of my mouth comes the words, "What time do you want to pick me up on Saturday?" Which also happened to be Valentine's Day. I never dreamed I would end up marrying him, but I will tell you that our first date was like electricity and we've been together since.

On our first date we didn't really make any plans - we just figured we would get dinner and catch a movie. Ha! We tried to go to Outback and the wait was 3 hours. So we scrapped that - I can't think of any restaurants that are worth waiting 3 hours for. So I suggested we try Mexican Jones which is a little, kind of dumpy, Mexican restaurant in Brighton that never has a wait but has good food and amazing margaritas. I didn't know it, but Dave's dad (who passed away 8 years ago tomorrow) always refused to eat at chain restaurants. He would only go to greasy spoons and small mom and pop kind of places, so when I suggested a greasy little Mexican place, Dave was pretty excited. We had a wonderful meal and the conversation never lulled.

We go to Mexican Jones on Valentine's Day every year. So while I'm a not a big Valentine's Day person; I do enjoy recreating this special evening every year.

1 comment:

The Nut House... said...

I vividly remember having lunch with you, sharing a fried snickers bar at Lou & Rubys in Milford... the day AFTER your date. I am QUITE certain it was the day after that. You may remember that better.

I remember seeing something in you that day that was completely different than I had seen before... and now you are married to him.

Happy Belated Valentines Day!