Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Vegas Report

We’re back from Vegas. Actually we got back last Thursday night, but two things have kept me from posting. #1 I have been recuperating and #2 We came home to find that our wireless router had died, therefore no internet on my laptop. I hijacked Dave’s computer since he has broadband service, but I ran out of time before I could complete anything.

So here’s the skinny on Vegas. This was our first time there and it was pretty much like we expected. In short, it was crazy. We had fun, but it was not relaxing. Also, two events occurred that put a little damper on the trip.

#1 I sprained my foot. I use the word sprain not as any sort of technical medical diagnosis, but instead because I don’t know what else to call it. All I know is that I did something to my heel the first full day we were there which prevented me from walking on it for the rest of the trip. That kind of sucked, but I hobbled around anyway. And we took a few more cab rides than we normally would. A little heartbreaking as I adore walking, but I’m over it (kind of) (okay, truthfully, I am trying not to be bitter about it)

#2 On our last night there, Wednesday night, I came down with either a wicked case of food poisoning or the stomach flu and was violently (and I mean violently) sick all night long. Ya’ll this is the sickest I ever remember being in my life and compounded by the fact that I was in a hotel, it left me begging for mercy. We considered staying an extra day because we weren’t sure if I would be able to leave the hotel or to board a plane. But I desperately wanted to go home and I think it was by sheer will that I stopped puking about an hour before we had to leave for the airport. It was not pretty and God bless my sainted husband who carried all our bags and supported me through the pain of airport check in and security. Sidenote: because of the 6 hours of puking and my completely empty stomach, I was afraid to take any Motrin which is what I had been using to numb the pain in my foot all week. So that left my foot throbbing and me only able to hobble my pathetic self through the airports in both Las Vegas and Detroit. That was the longest flight of my life.

Not to say that we did not have some fun. We went to some nifty clubs (which made me feel old and why didn’t anyone tell me that I was supposed to buy a dress that only fell 1 inch below the bottom of my butt cheeks. I was very overdressed. And by overdressed, I mean that my dress feel well below by ass but well above my knees), we ate some good food (with the exception of possibly Wednesday night’s dinner – the jury is still out on if it was food poisoning or the flu), and we kept some good company (our friends over the weekend and my parents during the week). We also saw the Hoover Dam, the aquarium at Mandalay Bay and “O” the most amazing Cirque de Soleil show at the Bellagio. Things we did not see that one or both of us wanted to see but we just ran out of time, The Erotica Museum (Dave), The Titanic Exhibition at the Luxor (me), Peepshow with Holly from Girls Next Door (Me), A titty bar (Dave), The Venetian (me).

So Vegas left me kind of exhausted. I would post some pictures for you, but in my usual fashion, I kept forgetting to take the camera with me on our excursions, except for the Hoover Dam. Dave had the camera for most of that, so I am guessing that when I do get the pictures off of the camera, there will be about 100 pictures of the dam with no people in it. We’ll see, maybe he’ll surprise me.

5 comments:

The Nut House... said...

So the stilettos had you toppling over, eh?

Did you and Dave eat the same thing every night??

Melanie said...

No stilettos - I think it was the flip flops actually.

No, we ate different things every night. The night I got sick I had chicken and he had fish.

Katrina said...

OMG that had to be miserable. But at least the stomach thing held off till the last day. Good for you guys for making the time to travel as a couple.

Jen said...

Poor you! Oh wow. The combination of ankle pain/airports/stomach upset sounds devastating.

Joyous JRo said...

Ouch on the foot & flu! Being sick while you travel is awful!! Sounds like you two made the best of it though.

And "O" is the best show I've ever seen. I will see it every time I go to Vegas!! I'm obsessed with it!!