Tuesday, March 23, 2010

I am so tired this week. Perhaps a combination of a stressful and sad week last week and fighting off some sort of sickness. All I know is that usually I wake up about an hour before my alarm goes off and then go in and out for the hour before it actually rings. Then I snooze a couple times. Yes, I have messed up sleeping habits.

This week I have been sleeping hard right up until the alarm goes off and then I still snooze a couple times. I did not want to get out of bed this morning and was sure if I did that something terrible would happen. And it did, I stopped at Starbucks and got a triple grande latte (that is a grande latte with an extra shot of espresso in it for a grand total of 3 shots of espresso) and it is the worse latte I have ever had (with the exception of the one that tasted like the milk had gone sour that I got once). This latte tastes like the coffee has liquid smoke in it. I can only think that they somehow burned the coffee or something. But I am so tired this morning I am drinking this putrid brew anyway. Also it cost me $4, yes you read that right, $4. $4.08 to be exact. Which is more than a Miller Lite at my hometown bar would cost me, but less than a man size Guinness that my husband would order.

We are leaving for Vegas on Friday. I can’t wait. Neither of us has ever been to Vegas and honestly I’m not sure if Vegas is going to be my kind of town, but I’m excited to get away. Some of our friends will be there for the weekend so we are going to get a little party time in and then my parents are meeting us there so that will be our more low key time. I got a fun new black dress to wear out. It’s strapless and it was on sale. Both so unlike me.

I love travelling. If you hadn’t noticed, we take a lot of vacations and long weekends. I don’t know where I got this bug, but I sure have it. I need to have travel planned or be planning some sort of travel at all times. I’m already thinking about our summer long weekend. I promised Becca we would take her to Mackinac Island and stay at the Grand Hotel sometime and I am thinking this may be the summer to do it. I drug Dave up there a couple years ago and he did not like it. He said it was too hoity toity, but I feel like everyone should stay there at least once. Is 10 too soon for a person to experience this treat? I was 22 or 23 the first time I went there. I remember going to the island with my friend Joddi and her family when we were little girls. They went ever year and stayed at the Iroquois or the Lake View. We used to run around the island (a good place to let your pre-teens go off alone because there isn’t a lot of trouble to be found on an island with no cars) and we would always find our way up to the Grand Hotel and stand there in awe of it. I had seen Somewhere in Time and I wanted to stay so bad. We couldn’t even go in and look at it because they charge you to walk on the porch (okay, yes a little hoity toity). But I love the fact that you have to dress for dinner and that they have a big band lounge where couples ballroom dance. And the grounds are beautiful and it looks almost just like it did in Somewhere in Time. I remember what it was like to be a little girl dreaming of staying there and I want to give that to Becca. Also, she has a book called “Rebecca of Grand Hotel.” There is a painting in the hotel of a little girl named Rebecca and our Rebecca is dying to see it in person instead of just reading about it in a book.

Wow, this post has meandered around all over the place. And I have a meeting to go to, so I better wrap it up.

What do you think, should I take B to the Grand Hotel or should I make her wait until she is older like I had to?

3 comments:

The Nut House... said...

I LOVE Somewhere in Time. I saw it for the first time about a year ago. That movie did something to me. I actually wondered if there was a red room with ancient artifacts, and a womans portrait on the wall. What a great movie. Ahhh. Reminicing.

Where was I. OH!.. Hmmm hard decision. I would say yes, take her, but I don't know her that well to know if she would love it the way you do. Did she read her book or does she just "own it"? You could always give her the choice of two trips.

We are planning to go camping there (obviously on mainland) at the end of July, then are heading up to Tahquemenon Falls (never spell that right).

Miralee said...

If she really wants to go I say take her, she may not fully appreciate right now but just imagine how much more she will appreicate it as she gets older and you two go back when she is an adult...you can both look back and love that you have that memory. :)

Joyous JRo said...

Take her for sure! She will remember it forever and when she goes there when she is older with her spouse or her kids, she will love it that much more!

PS) I have the same travel bug issue as you :-)