Thursday, April 26, 2007

Corporate America

I was supposed to get married young, have a fairytale marriage, produce a several babies, stay home and raise them, all the while loving every minute of it.

That didn't happen.

I got married at 30, inherited 2 partially grown kiddies, and have been dutifully riding the rat train every day for the past 10 years (yes 10 years). Funny how things don't go the way you plan. Well, I don't know about you, but things rarely go the way I plan.

I received a promotion at work about 3 months ago. Today I found out that my new boss is now my old boss due to the fact that he has been "reassigned" which is a nice way of saying he was demoted. According to old boss, he had a one-on-one with his manager in February in which he was informed all was well. Then three weeks later on a Friday afternoon, they dropped the bomb on him and asked him what job he would like if he was going to stay with the company. Do I have to tell you that he is peeved? NO. I don't know if old boss deserves this demotion; I have only been working with him for 3 months. Nor do I know if new boss is deserving of the promotion. I know of him, but do not know him. However, these are the kind of things that make employees nervous. They start wondering if they are next. The climate around the office changes. People start sending CYA emails like crazy. They start checking in with their boss when they go to the bathroom to pee (this is a serious problem for coffee drinkers like me-one travel mug of coffee = 2 trips to the bathroom - minimum). Or worse, they take their cell phone into the bathroom, and answer it! You know who you are public bathroom cell phone answerers!

This sort of things has become the norm in my corporate world. I'm wondering if I am going to be expected to subscribe to this line of thinking. Or worse yet, is my soul slowly leaking out my right ear and I'm not even noticing. Can you be a kind and good-hearted person and still be a successful rat?

4 comments:

The Nut House... said...

Walking on egg shells R Ya? I know exactly what you mean. In my own line of work, I received a "verbal" warning which consisted of having my probation extended an additional 45 days, making it 6 months total. All of this for 1. Leaving work because I was vomiting. 2. Calling into work for still "vomiting" the next day and 3. Leaving work early because Emily needed to be taken to the ER - Doctors Orders. The "Doctor" of which is my bosses Boss. How does THAT work? Needless to say, I have become a major SCHMOOZER in the medical world, because I need my probation to end sooner than August.

Oh... one more thing - This week, I worked 3 days straight with a fever and a RAGING sinusitis, unable to call in due to my "verbal" warning.

Melanie said...

Isn't it great being "liberated"?

Melanie said...

>

Melanie said...

>