Monday, April 30, 2007

Busy Weekend

Pheww! We had the busiest weekend that I can remember for some time. Rebecca had Brownie camp on Saturday and I had to drop her off to the carpool at 7:15 am. Waking up to an alarm on Saturday makes me a little crazy. I guess I should just be thankful that she was riding with her friend and mom - the camp was near Lapeer. I didn't pick her back up until 7pm. I spent the time in between cleaning the house and riding around on the ridiculously expensive mountain bike that my husband bought for me. My butt is all bruised up from that! Biking has never been my love, but I do these things so he'll walk with me (my love).

Sunday Rebecca and I had to rush out the door to drive to Warren for a bridal shower. She loved it - even though she got a little bored during all the present opening. My little girl is lucky - she won the centerpiece in the middle of the table which was a beautiful planter with purple impatiens in it. It looks lovely on my porch :)

One other thing with the girl - and this is where she earns the "pea" label I've given her. She has just recently, in the last couple of weeks, developed a problem with sleeping. It goes like this: I put her in bed at her normal time. She complains like all kids do that she isn't tired, but usually she falls asleep within a half hour. But lately, instead of falling asleep, she lays there for about a half hour and then starts bawling her head off. We go up, comfort her, tell her to go to sleep, put on some music and go back downstairs. That cycle happens one or two more times and then when we go to bed it really starts. She will be knocking on our door every hour on the hour for the rest of night. Everytime it's for a different reason- she's thirsty, she's scared, she's hot, she's cold. It's very frustrating. We don't let her in our bed and we just keep putting her back in her bed, but I'm torn between wondering if she is really having a problem or if she is manipulating us. Being that she isn't mine, I second guess myself all over the place. Should I be sympathetic to her insomnia, or should I scold her and tell her butt to stay in bed? Should I let her stay up later? Does she need more exercise? Every night this has happened, she has been very active during the day. Anyone have any ideas or advice? I know some of you are seasoned mothers....

3 comments:

The Nut House... said...

It sounds like she is "overtired" and she is manipulating you as well. Emily is GREAT at doing the same thing. This is how I nip this in the bud...

I put them to bed. Greg NEVER gets up. Sleeping is his favorite past time.

Emily gets up repeatedly. When she does this, I tuck her in and I tell her. "I love you. Sleep good. If I see you up again before tomorrow morning (bathroom is exempt), then tomorrow you are going to bed one half hour earlier. PERIOD. Have a good night and go to sleep". HOLD YOUR GROUND.
IF she get up or requires your "assistance" then the next day, you MUST put her to bed a half hour earlier than normal to show her that you are not kidding.

IT works for me EVERY TIME.

Melanie said...

Hmmm, I wonder if this is a "girl" thing. Sam never does this either.

I'll try it. I forgot about all the drama that comes with little girls - it's been a long time since I was one! ;)

Melanie said...

>