Wednesday, December 9, 2009

We are leaving in two days and I am having massive trouble applying myself to the things I need to finish before we go. (Like work)

I was super ambitious this weekend and made Becca clean up her pigsty room (which was so full of stuff that we were considering making her watch an episode of Hoarders). I also made her try on all her clothes and managed to glean a huge bag clothes that don’t fit her to be donated to the Salvation Army. I also gleaned two bags of trash. Dave commented that he could not believe I got that much stuff out of there especially since it has been only about 6 months since the last time I did this. The amount of stuff my MIL buys for the kids borders on obscene. I think she has resorted to keeping some of it at her house so that I don’t know it exists. I have become pretty ruthless about it. If she buys something for the kids that is unsanctioned, I will take it to the goodwill. Or, for every 1 new item that comes into our house, I make Becca choose 2 items to give away (or throw away – it depends on the condition. I am a firm believer that the goodwill is not a place to unload your trash).

Anyway, in the course of all the room cleaning, I also managed to get Becca mostly packed. I just will need to do a couple loads of laundry before we go.

My stuff is half packed, which isn’t half bad for me. I am trying to avoid being up until 2 am the night before we go although I don’t know if that is possible. One thing I did do was locate the chargers to both cameras and charge them. If you recall, when Dave and I went to Arizona last spring, I waited until the night before we left to figure out that the camera battery was dead and I could not find the charger to save my life. Therefore, we did not take my nice camera and I had to buy a point and click while we were there. So this time I am lugging the nice camera and the little point and click because, as I mentioned previously, I am an overpacker. I have also decided to take the portable DVD player (even though my husband has advised against it) because my just in case mentality has caused me to consider the possibility that it is winter and it is very possible we may encounter delays flying back to the winter wonderland that is Michigan. Hey, I’m not being negative, this is a genuine possibility and I want to be prepared because I cannot handle the endless strings of “I’m bored” that would surely ensue should we encounter even a 2 hour delay. It is worth it to me to lug the DVD player. Does anyone other than my husband have a problem with that?

I didn’t think so.

I still have a list of things to buy at Meijer. Including protein bars so we don’t have to buy breakfast every day, individually wrapped butt wipes (did you know they make those?) which Meijer has been out of the last 3 times I have been there, and toothbrushes because 3 of the 4 occupants in my house use electric toothbrushes which I am decidedly not lugging with us.

I also still have not managed to squeeze in the pedi. I might have to ped-egg myself instead.

Oh and I just remembered, I need a DVD holder because I have nothing to house the DVD’s in other than their bulky plastic cases which will not do. I may be an overpacker, but I still know how to maximize space.

3 comments:

Jen said...

I'm blown away by how organized you are.

The Nut House... said...

Uh just so you remember... Nothing liquid over 3 oz. I lost my prized hair gel thanks to it being in a 7 oz container.... jerks. Still reeling over that one.

BTW... did not know Meijer has individually wrapped butt wipes. Good to know. :)

Have fun!

Katrina said...

YES to the dvd player! Absolutely, those things are a Godsend. And yes I did know about the butt wipes but that is my area of expertise at the moment. Um, that sounds terrible. And you are so organized already I'm so impressed! Oh and don't forget to leave room for me in your suitcase..this weather is going to kill me. Have fun! you and your family deserve the break.